The victim, who wished to stay anonymous for fear of her safety, said that even though the previous attempts to poison her dogs were unsuccessful, she woke up to find the carcass of her female Great Dane in her yard on Monday.
They immediately rushed the dog to a nearby veterinary clinic, but the dog had already died.
“What we could ascertain was that there were blocked airways. We think she could have eaten such a huge amount of poison that she had no time to vomit it out before dying, but due to the family not wanting to do a full necropsy, we are unable to give an exact cause of death,” said the vet, who also requested to remain anonymous.
According to Hi-Tech Security operations manager, Callum MacPherson, meatballs laced with what looked like Temic were discovered in the garden.
The owner said while they were sleeping at around 04:45, a suspect threw a brick through a window of the study area and stole their TV.
“I believe the poison was left for the dogs in an area they were only able to access on Monday morning in the garden.”
MacPherson warned residents to look out for warning signs of dog poisoning, which include vomiting and tremors (shivering) and, in most cases, above-normal salivation.
“Also diarrhoea, small pupils and paralysis are signs of poisoning.” He added that should a dog display these symptoms, they must be taken to a vet as soon as possible.
“Always make sure you have checked your yard for more suspicious-looking food items before taking an animal to the vet. Criminals will use meat products to put poison in.”
The animals then ingest it. “Never touch any suspicious-looking food product and avoid touching your pet if you suspect it has been poisoned. Many of these poisons can be absorbed by the skin.”
He added that it was best to wrap the animal in a blanket to avoid contact, and remove any such products from the yard with rubber gloves or plastic.